What is a personal injury claim and how to file for it in Canada?
What is a Personal Injury Claim?
A personal injury claim is a legal action taken by a person who has been injured due to the negligence of another person or entity. The goal of a personal injury claim is to obtain compensation for the damages suffered by the injured person, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
There are many different types of personal injury claims, but some of the most common include:
- Car accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Product liability claims
- Medical malpractice claims
- Workplace accidents
How to file a personal injury claim in Canada?
If you have been injured due to the negligence of another person or entity, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. To file a personal injury claim, you will need to:
- Gather evidence. You will need to gather evidence to support your claim, such as a copy of the police report, medical records, and witness statements.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer can help you assess your case and determine whether you have a valid claim. They can also help you file your claim with the insurance company or the court.
- Negotiate a settlement. Once your claim has been filed, the insurance company or the defendant may offer you a settlement. You can negotiate the settlement with the insurance company or the defendant’s lawyer, or you can go to court to have a judge decide how much compensation you are entitled to.
Limitations period for personal injury claims in Canada
The limitations period for personal injury claims in Canada varies depending on the province or territory in which you live. In general, you must file your claim within two years of the date of the accident or injury. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, such as if you are a minor or if you were mentally incapacitated at the time of the accident or injury.
What to expect if you file a personal injury claim
If you file a personal injury claim, the insurance company or the defendant may investigate your claim and request additional information from you. They may also make you an offer to settle your claim. If you are not satisfied with the settlement offer, you can negotiate further or you can go to court.
If you go to court, a judge will hear your case and decide whether the defendant is liable for your injuries and how much compensation you are entitled to.
Tips for filing a personal injury claim in Canada
Here are a few tips for filing a personal injury claim in Canada:
- Gather evidence as soon as possible. The more evidence you have to support your claim, the stronger your case will be.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer early on in the process. A personal injury lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and protect your rights.
- Be honest with your lawyer and the insurance company. It is important to be honest about your injuries and how they have impacted your life.
- Don’t accept a settlement offer that you are not happy with. It is important to negotiate a fair settlement and that covers all of your damages.
LHLAW’s personal injury claiming service
If you have been injured due to the negligence of another person or entity, LHLAW can help you file a personal injury claim in Canada. LHLAW is a team of experienced and compassionate personal injury lawyers who are dedicated to helping their clients obtain the compensation they deserve.
LHLAW offers a free consultation to all potential clients. During the consultation, a lawyer will review your case and assess your chances of success. If you decide to move forward with your claim, LHLAW will work with you to gather evidence, negotiate a settlement, or go to court if necessary.
To learn more about LHLAW’s personal injury claiming service, Contact us at 905-452-7400
Here are some additional tips for filing a personal injury claim in Canada:
- Keep a record of all your expenses related to your injury, such as medical bills, travel expenses, and lost wages.
- Be prepared to provide the insurance company or the defendant with a detailed account of your injuries and how they have impacted your life.
- Be patient. The personal injury claims process can be complex and time-consuming. However, with the help of a qualified personal injury lawyer, you can increase your chances of success.
If you have been injured due to the negligence of another person or entity, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact LHLAW today for a free consultation to discuss your case.